Our History

From Humble Beginnings...

A. Pamphilon & Sons was founded in 1875 by Allen Pamphilon. His business started out selling house hold goods such as pots and pans etc and fuels such as coal and paraffin from a front room of his cottage located in Wood Street.

In 1900 he purchased a new purpose built shop in Wood Street and traded in house wares along with his daughter Florence and son William. Florence and William were driven business people whom made a real success of the store. In the years to follow Florence met, fell in love and married the shop keeper next door (Spencer Earthy) whom ran an ironmongers. After the safe return of William and Spencer from (World War I) Florence and Spencer merged their business and made A. Pamphilon & Sons one of the most well known hardware stores in East London.

In the 1940's as an addition to the business the family started trading in lawnmowers sales and service. The store was at the time run by Robert Earthy and Norman Earthy (Florence and Spencer's sons). It is understood that they started selling and repairing mowers after they returned from World War II.

With the family extending William and Norman opened up another store in Highams Park which successfully ran for many years until he retired in the early 80's. Robert successfully ran the shop in Wood Street and slowly handed the store over to his son also named Robert Earthy.

Robert Jnr worked tirelessly keeping the business in good shape through some tough economically challenged and competitive years and introduced many additions to the business one product particularly being Bottled Gas in the late 70's.

Today the Firm now trading as the abbreviation A.P.S. Ltd and is run by the same family into its 5th generation, going from strength to strength becoming one of the largest Independant Bottled Gas distributors in the South of England and without a doubt the largest Lawnmower service centre in London.

Our History